Sunday, March 20, 2011

Welcome, 2011!

**I wrote this post back in mid-January but got distracted (not surprisingly) and never got around to posting it. I think I was planning to revise it, but after a re-read tonight, I like it just the way it is. Since it's been a couple months since I wrote it, I'll follow up with a more current update soon. I did want to make sure this one got posted, though!**

It's been quite a while since I updated this blog...and that's a good thing! No news is good news, you know?
The last time I posted was at the end of November, concerning the fact that we were running out of EleCare Vanilla formula and hoping that the transition to whole milk would go smoothly. I'm happy to report that, almost 2 months later, Grace is drinking all whole milk all the time! The transition went even more smoothly than I had hoped and prayed it would. We have not had to supplement with any kind of sugary stuff. She likes the milk just the way it is. I am so thankful!
Grace hasn't been weighed since early/mid-December, at which point she was 19 pounds and in the 11th percentile. She had gained another pound and a half in just one month. I'm sure she is over 20 pounds at this point, if her chubby little cheeks and thighs are any indication. She is also starting to outgrow some of her 6-12 month clothes.

As far as food is concerned, Grace pretty much called it quits on baby food shortly after Christmas. It's nice that she is eating table food now, although her preferences are pretty limited. She likes pizza, grilled cheese, yogurt, eggo waffles, bananas, grapes, spaghetti, mandarin oranges, and Goldfish graham crackers. And, on any given day, she may decide that she is not interested in what I have offered her. This is actually not too different from what my boys were willing to eat at this age (14 1/2 months), but Grace pretty much gets whatever she asks for. That stomach bug created a monster! :) I think we are nearing the point where we can have a little more wiggle room and not be so concerned about her weight. Soon, we will take her bottles away completely. She drinks out of a sippy cup now, but she won't drink an entire cup of milk like she'll take it from a bottle.
In other news, Grace has sprouted lots of new teeth...since December, she has gone from three teeth to eleven! This has helped a lot with eating. She has also finally started to walk. She is definitely not what I'd call "a walker" just yet, but she's getting there. I think yesterday we counted 9 steps.

So, that's the latest. People are so kind to ask us how Grace is doing and it gives me such joy to say that she is doing so well! I continue to be humbled by the number of people who have prayed for her and our family over these last few months. I mean, truly, it is amazing how God has provided for us! Not only has he sustained us spiritually and emotionally but He has provided for our physical needs, as well. Through the generosity of our friends and family, we have not had to pay for any of Grace's medical expenses. And, let me assure you, the expenses were great! Again, it is so, so, so humbling.

This past weekend, I attended the RUF Wives' Retreat. It is probably my favorite thing I do all year. It's hard to top an entire weekend in Atlanta, kid-free, spending time with women who are so much fun and encourage me so much. During our prayer group, we were supposed to share the best and worst thing about the past year. Obviously, it was easy for me to think of the worst thing: Grace in the hospital. In trying to think of the best thing, though, I honestly came back to the same thing: Grace in the hospital. I'm sure that sounds crazy that the best thing about my year was that my precious 9-month old baby spent 25 days in the hospital. Don't get me wrong. It was horrible. (The worst thing about my whole year, remember?) But, the whole experience changed me so much in good ways. I learned what it means to need God, to have to trust God. I learned that I really can and do trust God. I learned that God really is good, no matter the circumstances. I learned what it is to hurt, and, therefore, I now know what it is when others hurt. Truly, my heart is heavier for those who are struggling. And, because of that, I learned to pray more often and more fervently. And, for those things, I am so, so thankful. And, really, could I trade that experience? I'm not sure I could have learned these things any other way.

To God be the glory, great things he has done!

1 comment:

  1. Meredith, I am so glad you had this blog for us to follow. It is truly amazing to look back and see how the Lord works all things out to His Glory. And to pray along with you and see the faith you and Justin had was so encouraging to me. I also agree with the worst can also be the best in our life experiences. I feel the same with the events during and after Piper's birth. Most people forget about it, but you never do. When it changes us in a way that strips us of everything but the Lord, how can you not forget.

    ReplyDelete